Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ok, so I have always wanted to be a Mermaid... this counts right?

I was having a hard time starting my search for interesting not all that common funerary practices in Canada, but then I went and looked at other blogs (hehe totally sneaky). Kayla and Jaylene had great posts so far that helped me think outside of the box. So while Jaylene had suggested burial at space I thought why not a non-standard burial at sea? Really cool results, and it led me to other options that sound really neat as well (I will post a link so if you are stuck like I was it is a pretty cool option).


What I found was the Eternal Reefs website. 


What they do is they create a living reef ball and the cremated ashes of a loved one are put inside them. They then put this reef into bays and the sea life can actually live off of them and it promotes the health of the bay as well as having an underwater resting place. Its a neat and green way of making a final resting place while promoting sea life.  Here's a link to a video if you want to know a little more information. While it is not yet offered in Canada and looks like it's mostly the southern US, it is definitely something that could be brought up here and done pretty easily.


Looking up reef memorials I also came across the Neptune Society Memorial Reef. This is just cool.




So pretty much ideal mermaid burial right???


And since I did say I was going to provide some info or at least links to other stuff if you are totally stumped, here are a few links including the option that made me take a while in deciding which topic I was actually going to do here:

  • This is a link to the Daily Grommet and the post they did on Alternative Funerals.
  • More specifically they mentioned Memory Glass, which is just cool and I hope someone writes about it. 




(photos are from the Eternal reef website and the Memory Glass website. Video from youtube. Links in text)

No comments:

Post a Comment